Stellar Commendations for the IB Diploma Program at RIS
IBO Experts at RIS
This past March, Ruamrudee International School (RIS) hosted a visiting team from the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) as part of its five-year self-study process. Over three days, the visiting team observed classes, met with members of the school community, and inspected facilities to ensure that RIS was complying with the policies and practices of the International Baccalaureate Organization.
A Six Month Self-Study
RIS six-month self-study was conducted by a team of high school faculty, students, and parents who examined all aspects of RIS IB Diploma Program by gathering data on collaboration, student achievement, professional development, and—most importantly—the approaches to teaching and learning that support students over the course of their two years in the program.
While the aim of the self-study is to identify areas for growth in the IB Diploma Program, the IBO’s final evaluation identified specific commendations that demonstrate why RIS is an elite college preparatory school:
- Ruamrudee International School demonstrates a commitment to forming partnerships in the wider community to support the teaching and learning of all children and in their mother tongues;
- Ruamrudee International School implements a language policy that is sensitive to the different linguistic needs of the
- Ruamrudee International School believes all students can be successful by providing support systems for students
with special needs;
- Ruamrudee International School is commended for integrating the role of the librarian directly into the IB Diploma Program’s core as the coordinator of academic research;
- Ruamrudee International School employs a robust and well-resourced counseling system;
- Ruamrudee International School has a committed action plan to promote observed language development in all subject areas;
- Ruamrudee International School provides a program of studies with balanced offerings across subjects; this is highlighted by offerings in the Human Sciences (Economics, Psychology, Business Management, History, and Global Politics) and Experimental Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, and Computer Science).
Further results from the self-study have helped RIS initiate changes to the school-wide schedule, such as:
- Accommodating collaborative planning time for teaching and learning;
- Providing flexible time for students to meet with teachers or receive academic assistance;
- Promoting student agency in creative, action-oriented, service projects;
The IBO’s evaluation of our program affirms our belief that an IB education at RIS provides college-level skills in research and critical thinking while promoting self-efficacy as a core attribute of success. For over 20 years, IB Diploma students at RIS have scored consistently above world averages and have earned placements at prestigious universities in the United States, Canada, the UK, and Australia. Each year, RIS IB Diploma students are also selected for highly competitive medical school programs that value thinking skills and the rigorous construction of knowledge that is standard for high-performing learners.
But success in the IB Diploma is not only about academic achievement; IB Diploma students choose their programs and are empowered to develop their own excursions into all areas of knowledge. Additionally, the CAS (Creativity, Action, Service) requirement is a research-based approach that allows students to develop collaborative strategies while instilling empathy, health consciousness, and international mindedness.
This year, one of our students earned the highest possible diploma points: a perfect score of 45. Out of the 84,265 IB Diploma candidates in May 2018, he was one of only 259 students in the world to achieve this remarkable accomplishment. This RIS graduate is currently a freshman at Harvard.
If you would like to know more about the IB Diploma Program at RIS in the High School, please contact Timothy Pettine, RIS IB Diploma Coordinator and author of this article.